23 March 2023
Sanjam Gupta, Director, Sitara Shipping and Founder MaritimeSheO & Executive board member, World Maritime University
1. Leadership – Nature or Nurture? Nuture. I believe this because people who are compassionate set out to make a difference and make great leaders.
2. One aspect that makes you passionate about your career choice in Maritime Business. It’s a global industry where we move the world! Everything around us- the clothes we wear, the food we eat and the fuel in our cars- is all being transported by the maritime industry.
3. Who are the most important influencers in your career? My Dad and my mentors Karin Orsel and Katherina Stanzel. They lift me up and make me believe in myself.
4. In what way are you empowering women in Maritime? First, by creating the next generation of female maritime leaders-we have our leadership accelerator program, which aims to equip women with the right leadership skills.
5. Who and what inspires you to keep moving ahead when the times are not favourable? My Dad has always overcome adversities -his example keeps me going ahead and my faith in God.
6. Business ethos you live by? Giving back to the industry which gives us so much!
7. One disruption likely to change the face of the Indian Maritime & Shipping Industry. AI because AI is the future -the way we do business is going to change. AI can be used to optimise fleet operations and improve the efficiency of shipping routes by analysing data from GPS, weather and traffic. Predictive Maintenance: AI can be used to predict when equipment and vehicles will need maintenance. This will help to reduce downtime and save costs.
8. One must-read book that you recommend for success? Losing my virginity by Richard Branson-my personal favourite. His adventurous spirit and never say die attitude inspire me.
9. If not in the Indian Maritime, then where? An author of books - I have always loved to write for myself. If I were not in maritime, I would be a writer -writing to my heart’s content!
10. What advice would you give to your younger self? Be brave and believe in yourself.